Login | Register | FAQ
Anonymous

Would I use C# or C++ language in ASP.net ?

+ Post a reply

5 posts Page 1 of 1

Would I use C# or C++ language in ASP.net ?

by palash_malakar » Wed Jul 27, 2011 6:02 pm

Would I use C++ or C# language in a ASP page instead of Javascript or Visual Basic script? Please say me anyone about this if possible.

palash_malakar

Re: Would I use C# or C++ language in ASP.net ?

by HTML.net » Thu Jul 28, 2011 1:21 pm

Normally you use C# with ASP-net (I think). But you can use C++ as well:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library ... 80%29.aspx

- Andreas, HTML.net

HTML.net
Site Admin

--
Show some love for HTML.net on Twitter, Facebook and Google: Use the buttons on top of all pages.

by corelgott » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:39 pm

There is no clear yes or not to your question.

First of all. C#, C++ & asp.net are all languages that can only be used on a server. That means programs written in those languages can only run on a server an normally dont run inside a browser. So you can't replace JavaScript (Ecma-Script) or HTML nor CSS by any of these.

In regard of using those languages on a Server:

C# is normally used to write windows applications (those thingys ending on exe or dll). You can use it to work as a Webserver (= a programm able to talk http most commonly over port 80) but it's defininetly a hard way and for most purposes unnessary. You would only use such a solution if you have a very special demand (like a management to a non graphical service, Virus scanner administration, Backup-Process control) To just serve a website it is absolutly not nessary. There are many very good freeware / open source servers, that are way more memory efficient and performant. Specially C# due to it beeing a .net language is running in a .net vm (kind of like java) which results in an extreme use of memory. Furter more the .net-VM normally runs only under MS Windows. (There are ports to linux, namely mono, but this is just a rewrite and not an officially supported.) So this would force you to have a windows server. C++ is OS independant and doesn't need a vm, but it needs to be compiled for the OS you want to run it in. But you would run in the same problem that you not only have to write a website but also the complete server. So for the most use cases these two languages are out of the question.

ASP.net is concept specially made to run websites. Think of asp as a set of libraries that a specially made for createing websites. These libraries run inside a webserver from Microsoft (IIS). The programm is written in a .net language that uses the functions provided by the asp.net framework. The server and the libraries are provided by asp, but the programm is written in a "special version" of C# or VB.net. In my experiance this concept makes it way harder to understand the underlying mechanism which runs a website(GET, POST etc.) and I personally would not recommend it for a novice, even thought asp is very capable.

If you want any recommandation: I would stick to php or ruby (on rails) on the server side.
Reason for that: PHP & Ruby are platform indepentant. So it doesn't matter if you run a windows or a linux server. There is nearly no need to recode your website when you move it to another platform. PHP is easy to learn. Ruby (on Rails) is in some aspects more powerfull but stands eye to eye with php. Its just another approch.

Long answer short: I would go with php on the server side & js, html5 & css on the client side.

If you want to play around a little with this approch: Go to http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html and get your self a xampp. It's a complete set of a server (apache) with php already installed, easy to install & easy to use. A good thing to start with development on your own machine.

Cheers,

Corelgott

corelgott

by palash_malakar » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:52 pm

corelgott wrote:There is no clear yes or not to your question.

First of all. C#, C++ & asp.net are all languages that can only be used on a server. That means programs written in those languages can only run on a server an normally dont run inside a browser. So you can't replace JavaScript (Ecma-Script) or HTML nor CSS by any of these.

C# is normally used to write windows applications (those thingys ending on exe or dll). You can use it to work as a Webserver (= a programm able to talk http most commonly over port 80) but it's defininetly a hard way and for most purposes unnessary. You would only use such a solution if you have a very special demand (like a management to a non graphical service, Virus scanner administration, Backup-Process control) To just serve a website it is absolutly not nessary. There are many very good freeware / open source servers, that are way more memory efficient and performant. Specially C# due to it beeing a .net language is running in a .net vm (kind of like java) which results in an extreme use of memory. Furter more the .net-VM normally runs only under MS Windows. (There are ports to linux, namely mono, but this is just a rewrite and not an officially supported.) So this would force you to have a windows server. C++ is OS independant and doesn't need a vm, but it needs to be compiled for the OS you want to run it in. But you would run in the same problem that you not only have to write a website but also the complete server. So for the most use cases these two languages are out of the question.

ASP.net is concept specially made to run websites. Think of asp as a set of libraries that a specially made for createing websites. These libraries run inside a webserver from Microsoft (IIS). The programm is written in a .net language that uses the functions provided by the asp.net framework. The server and the libraries are provided by asp, but the programm is written in a "special version" of C# or VB.net. In my experiance this concept makes it way harder to understand the underlying mechanism which runs a website(GET, POST etc.) and I personally would not recommend it for a novice, even thought asp is very capable.

If you want any recommandation: I would stick to php or ruby (on rails) on the server side.
Reason for that: PHP & Ruby are platform indepentant. So it doesn't matter if you run a windows or a linux server. There is nearly no need to recode your website when you move it to another platform. PHP is easy to learn. Ruby (on Rails) is in some aspects more powerfull but stands eye to eye with php. Its just another approch.

Long answer short: I would go with php on the server side & js, html5 & css on the client side.

If you want to play around a little with this approch: Go to http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html and get your self a xampp. It's a complete set of a server (apache) with php already installed, easy to install & easy to use. A good thing to start with development on your own machine.

Cheers,

Corelgott

Thanks for answering my question.

palash_malakar

by akalanez » Wed Oct 03, 2012 1:07 pm

corelgott wrote:There is no clear yes or not to your question.

Cheers,

Corelgott

Thanks for your awesome answer, I will go with php javascript html and css. BTW, Xampp: http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html is good too.

akalanez

+ Post a reply

Page 1 of 1