Login | Register | FAQ
Anonymous

.Net or PHP/APACHE?

+ Post a reply

Page 1 of 1

.Net or PHP/APACHE?

by cooperspick » Sat May 14, 2011 2:38 pm

Have the site Coopers Sports Picks and our current set up on .asp is struggling to handle the traffic and our programmer is trying to talk me into converting the entire site to php/apache instead of .net saying it will be quicker, easier to use, etc... Wanted to get some honest opinions on what I should do here.

Also it doesnt seem like servers are that much cheaper on a linux set up correct?

cooperspick

--
Hmmm... I haveCoopers Sports Picks to convert to php or not?

Re: .Net or PHP/APACHE?

by HTML.net » Sat May 14, 2011 3:36 pm

I don't think you can blame ASP for that (and probably not the server either). A lot of very big sites run ASP. But it could be because of bad coding - but then you should change programmer/developer, not scripting language or server :)

Also, see my other answer: viewtopic.php?f=58&t=822

All the best,

- Andreas, HTML.net

HTML.net
Site Admin

--
Show some love for HTML.net on Twitter, Facebook and Google: Use the buttons on top of all pages.

by namankhatri » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:17 pm

cooperspick wrote:Have the site Coopers Sports Picks and our current set up on .asp is struggling to handle the traffic and our programmer is trying to talk me into converting the entire site to php/apache instead of .net saying it will be quicker, easier to use, etc... Wanted to get some honest opinions on what I should do here.

Also it doesnt seem like servers are that much cheaper on a linux set up correct?

I agree with admin on the part that its proper coding that makes site fast or slow. But its true that php comes very handy and makes programming a fun and lot easier. And ofcourse linux servers are definitely cheaper than IIS as far as i know . Will definitely want to see more opinions on this.

namankhatri

by akashtablet » Sat Feb 11, 2012 6:38 pm

PHP with Apache i the best combination. Your programmer is right about PHP also i respect the views of admin but i personally had seen .net site lacks flexibility.

akashtablet

--
The computing and fun with click for Micromax fun book

by sd7668 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:54 pm

HTML.net wrote:I don't think you can blame ASP for that (and probably not the server either). A lot of very big sites run ASP. But it could be because of bad coding - but then you should change programmer/developer, not scripting language or server :)

Also, see my other answer: http://html.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=822

All the best,

- Andreas, HTML.net

completely agree with the post.

sd7668

--
stop paying money for hacking, hack facebook account at http://freefacebookaccounthacker.com/

by dagababa » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:13 pm

It doesnot really matter which programming language you use , just code it well. People prefer asp.net or php depending upon what they feel comfortable with and although php is nowadays popular but that doesnot decrease the usefulness of .net. The only thing is that apache servers can be bought a little cheaper.

dagababa

by kris2012 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:48 am

Both have their own strengths, I do believe most .NET sites can handle traffic, Microsoft site is build using .NET framework right, but regarding your site, I think your programmer is more adept in using PHP so he is insisting it. Cheers.

kris2012

by paddysmith » Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:45 am

PHP is open source and commonly runs on an open source platform, LAMP (Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP), PHP wins over ASP.net for providing the most cost effective solution and providing a large amount of resources and support.

-----------
STC Technologies|Reputation Management

paddysmith

+ Post a reply

Page 1 of 1