Login | Register | FAQ
Anonymous

New JavaScript Tutorial

+ Post a reply

11 posts 1, 2

New JavaScript Tutorial

by HTML.net » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:26 pm

We are very pleased to announce the launch of our new JavaScript tutorial: http://html.net/tutorials/javascript/

JavaScript gives you the freedom to add interactivity and responsiveness to your web pages. JavaScript is a lightweight, easy to learn, scripting language. It’s used on almost every website to respond to user actions, validate web forms, detect browser support, and much more.

A big thank you to the amazing Maria Antonietta Perna for writing this tutorial!

Please report any errors you may find and use this forum for questions/comments.

Enjoy!

- Andreas, HTML.net

HTML.net
Site Admin

--
Show some love for HTML.net on Twitter, Facebook and Google: Use the buttons on top of all pages.

Re: New JavaScript Tutorial

by atik » Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:56 pm

At first, thanks a lot to HTML.net, for publishing this very useful tutorial about javascript. You are right that, without javascript we can not imagine better functionality and user interactivity to our web pages.
Again thanks to you Maria Antonietta Perna, for writing this nice tutorial for us. Hope all of us can get the freedom to create Heaven in web pages by implementing your tutorial.

atik

by mariaantonietta » Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:27 pm

Thank you all, I greatly enjoyed writing this JavaScript tutorial.

I hope the HTML.net community finds it useful. I leave the creation of Heaven to your imagination in the way you'll bend what you learn to your wishes.

I also hope this forum becomes a hot spot for exchanging ideas and solutions.

atik wrote:At first, thanks a lot to HTML.net, for publishing this very useful tutorial about javascript. You are right that, without javascript we can not imagine better functionality and user interactivity to our web pages.
Again thanks to you Maria Antonietta Perna, for writing this nice tutorial for us. Hope all of us can get the freedom to create Heaven in web pages by implementing your tutorial.

mariaantonietta

by 4ddavis » Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:30 pm

Hello,
I really appreciate all the tutorials you guys offer. I am just grazing over the JavaScript tutorial and on the operators page I noticed the examples for increment and decrement aren't at all the way you would use them in higher programming languages (I am a relatively experienced C++ programmer), usually increment and decrement are used for loops or as just a shorthand for z = z + 1; and not for assigning a variable to one more or less than another variable. If they are used the way I think they are then z= x++ seems a strange example. Unless I am wrong I feel there should at least be a note about finding out more uses for them later in the tutorial.

Thanks again, I am learning a lot from you guys.

4d

4ddavis

by mariaantonietta » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:24 am

Hello 4ddavis,

Thank you for bringing this up. In fact, a web-based 21-lesson tutorial will not cover all there is to know about JavaScript, but will provide a good foundation to build upon for those who get passionate about the subject. In any case, I hope it will provide the tools to add responsiveness and flair to web pages for those who are building their own website.

You're right about common usages of increment and decrement operators in loops. However, they can be used to modify the value of variables, whatever these variables are called. Therefore z = z + 1 is as acceptable as z = y + 1 (and therefore as z = ++y). In my view (but I might be wrong), it's not so odd or uncommon as to call for special treatment.

4ddavis wrote:Hello,
I really appreciate all the tutorials you guys offer. I am just grazing over the JavaScript tutorial and on the operators page I noticed the examples for increment and decrement aren't at all the way you would use them in higher programming languages (I am a relatively experienced C++ programmer), usually increment and decrement are used for loops or as just a shorthand for z = z + 1; and not for assigning a variable to one more or less than another variable. If they are used the way I think they are then z= x++ seems a strange example. Unless I am wrong I feel there should at least be a note about finding out more uses for them later in the tutorial.

Thanks again, I am learning a lot from you guys.

4d

mariaantonietta

by mariaantonietta » Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:26 am

Thank you CubeSquare, you've made my day.

CubeSquare wrote:My original attraction to the HTML.net tutorials was the in depth introductions and their ability to take me by the hand and walk me through beginning to write my first website.
W3Schools may be more popular and have more information, but you are expected to already have the foundation that only the HTML.net tutorials provide.
That fact alone puts HTML.net head and shoulders above the rest, where the rest just become additional information that one can add to understanding the HTML tutorial that seems to take you in a structured manner, almost like programmed instruction, through the tutorial.

Oh, you have to dig, and it don't come easy for someone without any experience to learn a new language. But the fact that one lesson builds upon the last is what makes it so easy to continue. And by the time you finish 9 lessons you'll be writing several web pages per day while continuing your education.

I call that being sticky. A website is sticky when you come back again and again for more. And the education is free, which is what endears the visitor to HTML.net. People actually love this website!
The "sticky-ness" and the pride one takes in oneself from learning a new language are two of the subliminal effects of the education one receives and are two ideas that should be implemented in the websites that you write for yourself, now that I have pointed them out. Because once your visitors like you and trust you and believe in you, sales are easier.

The CSS tutorial is as equally well structured as the HTML tutorial. Not having completed the PHP tutorial, I'll reserve my opinion. But just looking over the Table of Contents of the JavaScript Tutorial, leaves me with a gut feeling of confidence. The author, Maria Antonietta Perna, is clearly a teacher of the highest caliber and a gifted writer. I've taken a couple or three lessons from the JavaScript Tutorial and found the transition easy. Dang! I'm going to learn JavaScript!

Thank-You HTML.net and Thank-You Maria Antonietta Perna, you wonderful you!

-CubeSquare

mariaantonietta

by Edward123 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:08 pm

Great tutorial Maria Antonietta Perna!

I use this site daily so I have seen the lessons grow into a great overall tutorial for beginners. I have read a couple of books on Javascript recently and found that they had skipped over a couple of subject's which lead to a gap in my knowledge of things like form validation, but after going over the finished tutorial today. Bingo things make much more sense and I have just finished validating my first form!

A great tool that you did not mention in the tutorial that I find great when working with javacript as a beginner is 'firebug' its really great for me as I tend to spend far to much time programming and end up making truly stupid mistakes that firebug shows me without the stress of worrying that the past hours work is all wrong and I am going to have to start from scratch. So to any beginners, get firefox and firebug, personally I like google chrome as it keeps up to data with all the cool stuff with html5, anyway you can use 'firebug lite' for google chrome.

Anyway thanks Maria Antonietta Perna, you are obviously talented with javascirpt and you have managed to write a tutorial that a beginner can understand and pick up with ease! Most beginner programming tutorials on-line are written by experts who have no concept of how stupid us beginners can be, but your tutorial is spot on!

Finally, I found a small error in one of your codes, on lessons 3
onclick="alert("Going anywhere? Not so fast!"); return false;">Click Me!</a>

I am a beginner but I think it should be

onclick="alert('Going anywhere? Not so fast!'); return false;">Click Me!</a>

Thankyou html.net

Edward123

Edward123

by mariaantonietta » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi Edward123,

Thank you so much for your interest in this tutorial and for your great input.

Firebug is a great debugging tool. I sincerely hope this forum can be used to get into more specific topics that otherwise would have sent learners into some sort of information overload, if treated in the tutorial.

Your point about the use of double and single quotes in the code snippet is spot on: onclick="alert('');" When transcribing code such mistakes are bound to happen, although every care has been taken to be as accurate as possible. Thanks again for pointing this one out. I hope this forum will serve this purpose as well.

By the way, beginners are not stupid, they're starting out and everybody has been a beginner at some stage. through the process of writing this tutorial, I kept reminding myself of what I was like when I was learning, and of what I needed to understand as I was moving those first steps. I think this perspective is the most important guiding principle when planning this type of tutorial.

Edward123 wrote:Great tutorial Maria Antonietta Perna!

I use this site daily so I have seen the lessons grow into a great overall tutorial for beginners. I have read a couple of books on Javascript recently and found that they had skipped over a couple of subject's which lead to a gap in my knowledge of things like form validation, but after going over the finished tutorial today. Bingo things make much more sense and I have just finished validating my first form!

A great tool that you did not mention in the tutorial that I find great when working with javacript as a beginner is 'firebug' its really great for me as I tend to spend far to much time programming and end up making truly stupid mistakes that firebug shows me without the stress of worrying that the past hours work is all wrong and I am going to have to start from scratch. So to any beginners, get firefox and firebug, personally I like google chrome as it keeps up to data with all the cool stuff with html5, anyway you can use 'firebug lite' for google chrome.

Anyway thanks Maria Antonietta Perna, you are obviously talented with javascirpt and you have managed to write a tutorial that a beginner can understand and pick up with ease! Most beginner programming tutorials on-line are written by experts who have no concept of how stupid us beginners can be, but your tutorial is spot on!

Finally, I found a small error in one of your codes, on lessons 3
onclick="alert("Going anywhere? Not so fast!"); return false;">Click Me!</a>

I am a beginner but I think it should be

onclick="alert('Going anywhere? Not so fast!'); return false;">Click Me!</a>

Thankyou html.net

Edward123

mariaantonietta

by Thalia » Thu Jan 12, 2012 2:29 am

First of all, thank you Maria Antonietta Perna for the tutorial.

I'm pretty close to a rank beginner with JavaScript, so I've been following your tutorial very carefully and very slowly. In lesson 6, though, I can't get the 'Try out: days of the week with switch' exercise to quite work, and was wondering if there was an error. I think it might be this line, towards the top: case "Saturday", "Sunday":

It will read the second of the two fine (here Sunday), but not the first. If I change the var today to Saturday I get the default alert box ('Just an ordinary weekday: keep up the good work'), though the write.document will come through correctly and say 'Today is Saturday'. I don't know enough about any of this yet to say what (if something) is wrong, but I was wondering if maybe that's not how two variables should be strung together. It doesn't work even when I copy and paste directly from the tutorial.

Again, thanks!

Thalia

by mariaantonietta » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:32 am

Hi Thalia,

Thank you so much for all the nice things you said about this tutorial. I really hope you find it useful.

Also, I must say thank you for pointing out a little bug in the switch statement code in lesson 6. Here's the correct way of coding a case in a switch with more than one value. Picking up from the code in lesson 6:

WRONG:

Code: Select all
  case "Saturday", "Sunday":

CORRECT:

Code: Select all
  case "Saturday":
  case "Sunday":
  //Rest of the code here

Try out this new syntax: now the example should work.

Thalia wrote:First of all, thank you Maria Antonietta Perna for the tutorial.

I'm pretty close to a rank beginner with JavaScript, so I've been following your tutorial very carefully and very slowly. In lesson 6, though, I can't get the 'Try out: days of the week with switch' exercise to quite work, and was wondering if there was an error. I think it might be this line, towards the top: case "Saturday", "Sunday":

It will read the second of the two fine (here Sunday), but not the first. If I change the var today to Saturday I get the default alert box ('Just an ordinary weekday: keep up the good work'), though the write.document will come through correctly and say 'Today is Saturday'. I don't know enough about any of this yet to say what (if something) is wrong, but I was wondering if maybe that's not how two variables should be strung together. It doesn't work even when I copy and paste directly from the tutorial.

Again, thanks!

mariaantonietta

+ Post a reply

1, 2