Anonymous

A peer review please

+ Post a reply

9 posts Page 1 of 1

A peer review please

by merlin » Sat Jul 02, 2011 3:56 pm

Hi all
The short version for those in a hurry. :-

Any comments, suggestions or criticisms on my first web site would be most gratefully received..
Thank you.
http://www.merlin66.webspace.virginmedia.com

The verbose version: -

When I first posted here around, Christmas time last year, I my knowledge of HTML/CSS was rudimentary, to say the least. One of my questions was picked up by CubeSquare who, via email, proceeded to take me under his wing. Thanks to his mentorship I have now moved on by leaps and bounds and this is my way of publicly saying a very big – thank you. It hasn’t always been a smooth ride. We disagreed many times. Rather like the dialogue that my father and I might have had which would have gone along the lines of
“You can’t do that son”
“Why not - it works”
“Because it’s not acceptable “(translated – it doesn’t validate)
“Validation? Who cares about validation - ~It works” !!!)
Eventually, and begrudgingly, I conceded that compliance to the accepted norms was the route that I would have to conform to.

There were a number of skirmishes of this nature not least the using of an anchor tag without a href declaration . As we all know ignorance is bliss and fools go where angles fear to tread. However , occasionally, folly stumbles and serendipitously falls into a vat of nectar. So it was that, between us we managed to make my foolishness work.

So a very big thank you CubeSquare, my first web site was an adventure on which to go forth and build my next one but I have a feeling it’s going to be a lot duller journey.

Merlin

merlin

Re: A peer review please

by HTML.net » Sat Jul 02, 2011 5:43 pm

Hi Merlin

You have really come a long way! I am impressed!

I don't know what flash cards are - and what it is used for. But your site seems to work very well. Very intuitive.

Two small suggestions: 1) An introduction to flash cards would be nice. 2) consider a more "neutral" background.

Looking at the code made me very happy! You have had a good teacher in CubeSquare - and you have been a good student :)

All the best,

- Andreas, HTML.net

HTML.net
Site Admin

--
Show some love for HTML.net on Twitter, Facebook and Google: Use the buttons on top of all pages.

by merlin » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:15 pm

Hi Andreas
Thanks for the kind remarks .

The flashcards project was a personal site in order to get my three year old granddaughter to learn simple phonetic words so it never occurred to me to provide an introduction.. However, if I ever decide to put it out into wider community it’s something I’ll bear in mind.

As it’s a kid’s thing I wanted to make it a little funky rather than grown-up boring.

CubeSquare was a good mentor – but I haven’t always been a good student. Just ask him !-))

merlin

by merlin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:26 pm

Hi Master Po

You see, (well, actually if you were Master Po you wouldn’t would you?) we both show our age simply by our knowledge of two characters from a long defunct western. However, I digress.

While, obviously, I’ve thanked you personally I wanted the rest of group to be made aware of the time and effort you put into spreading the gospel of HTML and CSS to others.

Knowing how pedantic you are - and how free thinking I am - sorry! Messy - I ran the code through a fine toothcomb before submitting it for scrutiny and I I was sure there was no pickings for you. I should have known better. Still, I’m glad I was able to make your day by giving you something to berate me for.

If I did – accidentally - give you a metaphorical black-eye then take it as retribution for that damn tea party. Without that I might not have to endure the inconvenience of remembering, when writing code, to put – color instead of colour and center instead of centre.

Seriously, many thanks
Merlin

merlin

by merlin » Sun Jul 03, 2011 9:48 pm

It’s after the bad language watershed (it is here anyway which is good enough) so excuse me while indulge in an Anglo-Saxon expletive .

SOD IT !!!!

You should now find that the puppy is purple.

Master Po, grasshopper and some other students were walking along a path when they found a traveller who had been robbed and beaten. They observed him briefly and moved on. After some time Master Po turned to the grasshopper and asked
"grasshopper, do you think we should have helped the traveller"?
Grasshopper responds” No master it was his karma to be beaten and suffer that way, it is what he has earned".

merlin

by Inouzana » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:20 pm

Wonderful applause and applause. Special thanks to such talented people that they also teach others. For me, such a mentor in life became boo radley quotes, that from the book "To Kill a Mockingbird". Because teachers are needed in the banal struggle with society.

Inouzana

by patsm00re18 » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:56 pm

Your website is not working anymore. I was looking forward to seeing it with ishtaria.

patsm00re18

by casseverhart13 » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:53 am

I cant get over how little you in fact bring to light here. https://www.maidserviceoforlando.com/winterpark

casseverhart13

by kenhobbs27 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:50 pm

I also use cubesquare for practice when im trying to create this website: https://www.columbia-carpet-cleaners.com . Now i think I'm a pro. :)

kenhobbs27

+ Post a reply

Page 1 of 1